The Interledger Community 🌱

Oliver Sauter
Oliver Sauter

Posted on

Using Coil within a WebExtension

Currently planning up the workflows for integrating the WebMonetization endpoints in the shared collections (like this one).

It gets exciting :)

Question:
Currently users would pay via another extension, e.g. Coil.
How does that work with pages that are inside the Memex extensions? The situation will be that users can follow those collections inside their Memex extension (getmemex.com) and so they may wanna pay from there, instead of going to the web view.
Are there any known blockers to such a UX?

Here some sneak peak on the v1 of the mockups. Feedback for better payment UX welcome!
I think the upload downscales the image slightly. Better opening it in a new tab with this link.

Alt Text

Top comments (7)

Collapse

abhinavchawla13 profile image
Abhinav Chawla

Hey Oliver, that's some exciting stuff. I'm working on Project Insulate and integrated Coil within my Chrome extension, so probably something could be done with your extension as well. Let me know if you want to have chat, you can reach out to me at LinkedIn! 😃

Collapse

cyberdees profile image
Desigan CHINNIAH
Collapse

blackforestboi profile image
Oliver Sauter

thanks @cyberdees .

Hey @scottjenson , glad to have you here.

I share your passion to show as little modals as possible in this process.
If you feel there are good ways of reducing the clicks a person needs to do to support a creator I am very curious!

In future steps I am looking very much forward to also automate this process more, so that ideally a user does not have to click anymore in most cases.
I think the reason why Flattr and Satoshipay failed historically is mostly a UX problem. People get annoyed by having to click on a button everytime they want to support someone.

I think Memex has potential to improve that because it saves is so much metadata about who users get their information from, and how often they interact.
E.g. what do they save, annotate, tag, put in a collection, reply to highlights, follow a collection, how long they stay on a page, how far they scroll etc.

So if we do our job well it could reduce the decision of a user to "how much budget do I have to spend on paying people around me"?

Collapse

scottjenson profile image
Scott Jenson

Sorry, I just noticed that this site doesn't notify me when I get mentioned/replied to. Happy to chat of course.

Simple UX is built on two fundamentals: 1) right model 2) Good tech. Most bad UX is a bunch of Band-Aids covering up for any failings. The fundamental tension we have is a limited wallet that, if we remove all buttons/modals, could empty that wallet quickly, frustrating the user. This means we have a fundamental tension. I don't have any simple answers but I'm expecting that strong feedback (some type of 'thermometer' visible to the user) and the ability to rollback expenses (for any surprises) would go a long way. I say this knowing full well that rollbacks are difficult and controversial. But, for me, it's all based on user control. There are studies (which I need to find) showing this has been tried and it wasn't abused.

Happy to discuss this further of course. Just getting back to you quickly as I worry your comment is quite old.

Thread Thread

Scott Jenson

BTW, to avoid missing you in the future, please feel free to reach out to me at scott@jenson.org directly

Thread Thread

cyberdees profile image
Desigan CHINNIAH

Sorry, I just noticed that this site doesn't notify me when I get mentioned/replied to. Happy to chat of course.

This may be a toggle in your settings @scottjenson...
community.interledger.org/settings...

Thread Thread

Scott Jenson

Thanks, finally got it fixed (I got the email that you replied) so we're all good now. So embarassed. I took >3 weeks to reply. It was over the holidays, but still....