The Interledger Community 🌱

Cover image for What do you think is the biggest barrier for people to adopt Web Monetization?
Radhy
Radhy

Posted on

What do you think is the biggest barrier for people to adopt Web Monetization?

Tell us what you think - plus point if you have met a roadblock related to this by experience!

Top comments (6)

Collapse

radhyr profile image
Radhy • Edited

Personally I think it's the lack of success stories of having to use Web Monetization API. I don't mean success by getting rich, but if it can help people paying their bills and they tell more people about it I'm sure that's the turning point where Web Monetization can take off.

Also, there are lots of hecklers on the internet. Communities that have been a little bit on the toxic side will sometimes will try to push down things that they are not used to. By my experience this kind of situation will be very hard to convince people in because we just don't have enough "real life proof" yet that Web Monetization can be useful to creators--especially to the type of people who thought crypto is not a scam and anything that spawn out of it 100% is sham.

Collapse

radhyr profile image
Radhy

As for the second obstacle I think is the reach--which I also think is solvable as WM land is getting more mature as the time goes by. What I mean is, currently, we have 2 digital wallets that support receiving Web Monetization payments--which makes some KYC procedure very hard or simply not available in a few countries. Which is a shame, because even $50/month payments from Web Monetization can be very helpful for people living in developing countries, where content creating related jobs or gigs are simply out of reach by many.

Collapse

powerplaysxyz profile image
Power Plays Podcast

As a no-code creator, the lack of direct integration into tools like Webflow is a hurdle. Not an insurmountable one of course, but more integration into the tools that many creators already use might be one way to ramp up adoption.

And I mean advanced integration; verifying receipts, making it simple to hide/display exclusive content, having an Oath Coil signin button etc.

Collapse

radhyr profile image
Radhy

I think this will be hard too. Organizations who build tools with working business models will less likely to experiment with experimental payment system like Web Monetization. It will take quite a long time and efforts beyond hyping up WM API for this new way of monetization to be accepted into mainstream tools ecosystem.

Collapse

uchibeke profile image
Uchi Uchibeke

The process of getting onboarded with the Wallet providers is still very complicated. So for many, they do not want to have to wait to get the payment pointer so they put it off for later

Collapse

radhyr profile image
Radhy

That is certainly true. I'm for one still waiting for Uphold to support my country or other wallet provider to show up to create ILP supported wallet myself, while using non-profit payment pointer in the meantime.