The Interledger Community 🌱

Radhy
Radhy

Posted on

Web Monetization after Coil Shutdown...

Hello folks! πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ

It's been a few months after Coil closing down their services.

I'm curious if there's anyone still maintaining/developing their WM-backed projects or just be waiting for Coil replacement to open their services.

If still developing, how do you do testing and other stuff that required WM provider previously? Is there any issues or something to learn from it worth to share?

If not, how do you hope the next phase of WM community will be?

Are you happy with current community direction post-Coil or if not happy, what do you think we can do to make it better?

Let's discuss all about it here
πŸ₯ΈπŸ₯ΈπŸ₯Έ

Top comments (13)

Collapse

gfam profile image
gFam

We're the same. We've removed the Coil logos and Coil login functionality that we had, as well as the ability for people to add payment pointers, but all our Web Monetization functionality is all still there in the background just waiting for whatever comes next.

Collapse

radhyr profile image
Radhy

Dassie and Interledger-backed fintech that uses Rafiki seems to be in line to come for the next thing in WM Community but everything else, all thing tech related, seems to be slowing down a lot. πŸ™

Thinking about it we don't even have tools to debug WM now that Coil is down. I remember someone wrote how to mock fake WM stream a few years ago and I'm not sure if that is viable now to develop WM libraries if the mock code rewritten with the new WM spec.

Collapse

gfam profile image
gFam

I think it makes sense that they're slowing down though, Rafiki will be replacing the WM infrastructure I believe... so I imagine the Interledger Foundation (or someone else) is probably building a new browser extension (or trying to get it incorporated within Chromium).

Thread Thread

radhyr profile image
Radhy • Edited

I think someone from the ILF team once said that folks from Google have reviewed the WM latest spec and happy about it - I don't really recall the exact wording but from my impression is that now although WM is not yet 100% to be in Chromium at least we got positive signal from Google side. I really don't remember whether I read this from Interledger slack or from watching ILF's meeting recording or it is entirely my imagination so please correct me if I'm wrong πŸ€”

Thread Thread

radhyr profile image
Radhy

Rafiki-backed fintech that currently developed right now all probably don't support my country and that makes me sad 😒

It'll be a very very long time for me to see WM again...

Thread Thread

gfam profile image
gFam

I don't think they support any country just yet... but Fynbos is working on the US first and then will try to expand out. I know India has some special laws with crypto, we'll have to see what happens.

Thread Thread

gfam profile image
gFam

They spoke about Chromium this morning on the ILP community call. There is now a new group working with ILP Foundation to integrate into Chromium, but they are still waiting for the agreements with Google to be finalized. I think there was still a couple of sticking points, but they seemed confident they can find a path that keeps everyone happy.

Thread Thread

gfam profile image
gFam

Here are the community notes:

docs.google.com/document/d/1T_Q_eR...

Thread Thread

radhyr profile image
Radhy

Neat! Once it made into Chromium WM is pretty much secured.

Collapse

end3r profile image
Andrzej Mazur

We haven't removed our payment pointers from websites nor games, all the functionalities are still there, but there's no active development towards Web Monetization until new provider will be up and running.

I'm quite curious to know more from other folks as well.

Collapse

radhyr profile image
Radhy

Yeah that's probably the common state right now. I assume once the WM resumed with new providers old WM codes will need to be updated with latest spec if they haven't.

Collapse

chrislarry profile image
Chris Lawrence

Hi all! We are working on this still, with more updates between now and the Summit to come. Today's call was a good first step. @gfam shared the notes in this thread. We also got a great Fynboss update. But WM is very much in our plans and we just finished on-boarding a cohort of ex-Coil developers. Our Interledger Community Slack has a dedicated #webmonetization channel that is a great place to discuss/feedback/get updates: join.slack.com/share/enQtNTQ2NjMyM...

Collapse

radhyr profile image
Radhy

Thanks for the info Chris!